Friday, August 2, 2013

Time to Blastoff: T-1 Month

Just over two months ago, I graduated from college.

I thought in this summer time, I'd get bored of home.

Instead, I rode camels in Egypt, found myself in the middle of protests in Turkey, went to my first ever wedding near Pittsburgh, visited NYC and DC with friends from USC, explored Boston...

...and generally did not get bored of home.

It's hard to get bored when you cannot manage to sit still!

Besides which, it seems when you haven't lived at home for an extended period of time in three years, you don't get bored of home anymore. It's suddenly more like a vacation.

Whether or not I'm bored, in just under 2 months, I fly to Cameroon to begin my service as a Peace Corps Volunteer. (On September 11th. People gasp when I say that. But I've decided its auspicious.)

It's a grand adventure.

It's a scary challenge.

And it's a whole lot of other things too.  

Since I know my mother will ask me what the title means, and why I chose it (I can hear it already: "Do you think your home is a cage!?"), I will preemptively answer her. By quoting Lord of the Rings, in proper nerd fashion. 

Aragorn: What do you fear, my lady?

Eowyn: A cage. To stay behind bars until use and old age accept them and all chance of valor has gone beyond recall or desire. 


2 comments:

ShareThis