Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Fun-tivities in Foumban

In the West region of Cameroon, November and December are the months of cultural festivals. Cameroon is incredibly culturally diverse, and you only need to look at the local languages to see the extent: some sources (by which I mean Wikipedia) estimate that over 230 languages are spoken here. In my village of Bansoa, people speak a different language than Dschang (20 kilometers north) or Bafoussam (20 kilometers south) or any of the villages in between. Which is to say that in November and December there approximately a million parties. And I had the pleasure of attending Nguon, the Bamoun cultural festival in Foumban, at the beginning of November. Here are some highlights!

1) The Sultan's Palace and museum: This is without a doubt one of my two favorite museums in Cameroon (out of the two I've visited). It's full of treasures like the skulls of our enemies that were subsequently used as goblets and parts of animals killed a really long time ago. The excellent tour guides and/or his excellency Josh Shelton will happily tell you plenty of fun stories, like that of the tenth sultan Mbue-Mbue killing all his enemies to forge his borders in blood and black steal then comparing himself to a two-headed snake. It's a symbol that stuck, as you can see in this concrete structure that will eventually (and I stress evennnntually) house the new museum. 


2) The Mosque's Tower: Along with these here lovely folks, I climbed a very rickety wooden ladder that gave me heart palpitations and emerged into the minaret. We were rewarded handsomely with handsome views - but it would take a handsome bribe for me to make that ascent again. 


3) SHOPPING!: As tourists and obvious foreigners, of course we are required to "encourage" the artisans and craftsmen. I'm sure someone makes their own wares... But I'm equally sure a lot of them buy it elsewhere and resell it as their own. The experience of extensive haggling is thrown in at no extra cost!


 4) Day-time explorations: You're never sure what you might stumble upon during your sun-lit meanderings.



5) Night-time festivities: I doubt this needs any explaining. Some things are the same in many cultures and many countries...


And my number one favorite...

6) Défilé de desordre (parade of chaos)!!: I have no idea what this parade is actually called, but it was awesome to see. Men and women cross dressing, children and adults covered in mud or ash or facepaint, crazy hats, traditional costumes, and everyone acting like a fou (crazy person). What's not to love? 

Now I can't wait for my own village's cultural festival in December! 

Crazy hats.
Traditional costumes.

Crazy hats AND traditional costumes.

2 comments:

ShareThis